Pages

Marriage Solutions, part 1

Seeking Solutions


Success in marriage is much more than finding the right person; it is a matter of being the right person.   Anonymous

One of my favorite questions to ask people is “Where do you go when you need help with your marriage problems?”

When we were young marrieds, hmmm …… 40 years ago, we didn’t have that many options. Most people probably talked to their friends or family. We knew that our friends and family didn’t know any more than we did. 

My tendency is to find a book - books are my answer to every situation - good or bad. But at that time, good books on marriage were not apparent to me.

Unfortunately, as a newly married couple, we were not in church. We were both Christians, but didn’t see the Church or the Bible as an answer to the puzzle of compatibility in marriage.

But we were both very committed to making our marriage the best that we could. We were like many young couples; we thought love and common interests were enough.

“We should know how to be married.” 

Divorce was never an option, neither was being isolated from each other.

As much as we enjoyed the same lifestyle and had the same goals, we didn’t really understand each other. We wanted to make each other happy, but we didn’t really understand what that meant.

Today, couples have too many places to go when they are seeking solutions. So many competing voices claim authority on the subject. 
  • Is the advice of Oprah (who is not married) valid? 
  • Or is Dr. Phil the expert?
  • What about an internet search?
  • Maybe, I should ask my buddy at work. 
  • Or my sister, she seems happier than I do. 
  • My friends think I could find someone to treat me better.

Where do I find real answers?

Real Answers


Marriage is not a human invention, it is the creation of God; it did not originate in the mind of man, but in the mind of God. 

We have spent the last 35 years seeking God and searching His Word for solutions. We have found real answers to every marital issue! 

God’s answers transcend time, culture, gender, race, IQ, and income. Most of all, He cares about us and our marriages, even more than we do! 

Cast all your anxiety on Him He cares for you. (1 Peter 5:7) 

Over the next few months, we are going to share real answers to the most common marriage problems. 

For those answers to make a difference in my marriage: 
  1. First, I will recognize that I need help and want a change. I will be honest with myself about my part. 
  2. Second, that change has to start in my own heart, because I can’t change another person. 
  3. Third, I seek God through His Word and through prayer for His perspective and His solutions. 
  4. Fourth, I will be patient with the process. I didn’t get to this place overnight, I won’t form new beliefs and new habits overnight. 
  5. Fifth, I won’t give up or lose hope! 
May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.  (Romans 15:7)

Also, see our previous post: Marriage Problems, part 1