- Daily - find something every day to appreciate, an action or an attitude
- Focus - keep your mind focused on the positive qualities of your mate, instead of the bad habits or hurtful comments. This focus is an attitude of the heart.
- Express thanks when you catch your spouse doing something good or something helpful. You have to be looking for the positive!
- Praise (out loud) positive character attributes in your spouse. Thank him for who he is, not just what he does.
- Be thankful in your heart for all the good that God has given you in your spouse.
- Respond in a positive, interactive conversation when your spouse shares her life with you.
- Ask your spouse for advice to show you value/appreciate his opinion and judgement.
- Speak highly of your spouse to friends, your children, and other family members. Best done in your spouse’s presence!
What are some elements to effective appreciation?