Pages

FREEDOM

The desire for freedom resides in every human heart. And that desire cannot be contained forever by prison walls, or martial laws, or secret police. Over time, and across the Earth, freedom will find a way. George W. Bush

God gave us the freedom of choice from the beginning. He told Adam, “You are free to eat from any tree in the garden,” with one exception. Adam and Eve chose to abuse their freedom, indulge their own desires, and eat from the excluded tree.

God still gives us the freedom to choose. We can choose Him or we can choose sin. Whichever one we choose, we become a slave to those choices.

People seek political freedom, financial freedom, personal freedom, and ….

Christ wants to set us free from sin!

But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves of God, the benefit you reap leads to holiness, and the result is eternal life. For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Romans 6:22-23)

How does my freedom affect my relationships - especially marriage?

To be free from sin does not mean that we are free to sin. That idea is a misunderstanding of grace.

Grace means that I now have the power and presence of the Holy Spirit in my life. I allow Him to live through me. My family and others around me see Christ.

I don’t do whatever I want to indulge my own pleasures and desires. I minister to those around me, putting their needs before mine.

For Christ’s love compels us. (2 Corinthians 5:14)

Faith gives liberty [freedom]; love limits it exercise. John Stott

TRUE FREEDOM

How free am I if I am not free from the bondage of sin?
We live in a free country, but that doesn’t mean that we can do whatever we want.

Many people are in bondage to what others think, other peoples’ opinions of them. While others are in bondage to financial debt. Some are in bondage to the enemy of our souls. Christ’s desire is to set us free from that bondage.

Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free. (John 8:32)

I am the way and the truth and the life.  (John14:6)

So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed. (John 8:36)

It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. (Galatians 5:1a)