Pages

Character of Marriage - Contentment,part2

In my last post, I talked about the discontent in our culture today. Is anyone really content anymore?

The more things I see that entice me to buy, the more I want. The more I want, the more discontent I become.

The more I see other people's experiences, the more I want to have those experiences. The more I see other people's relationships, the more I want those kind of relationships. The more I see other marriages, the more I want a different marriage..... and on ..... and on........

I remember many years ago hearing someone warn, "Be careful what you expose yourself to - it can create discontent for a lifetime." I thought back to when my husband and I went on a cruise. I didn't have to lift a finger to do anything... no cooking but I had delicious meals in abundance ... no cleaning but my room was cleaned up every time I left it ... no planning what we were going to do for fun because there were many options available at all times ... didn't have to go to work, we were on vacation.

Wow, I could live like that and be happy.

But can I live without any of it and be happy? Can going on a cruise cause discontent? Can going into Best Buy and looking at TV's create discontent? Can watching another married couple together cause discontent?

Isn't it okay to want something different in my life?

What does real contentment look like?

True Contentment
Contentment, then, is the product of a heart resting in God. It is the soul’s enjoyment of that peace that passes all understanding. It is the blessed assurance that God does all things well, and is, even now, making all things work together for my ultimate good. A.W. Pink

True contentment comes as I find joy in what I have. It comes when I enjoy the material possessions I have instead of complaining or being dissatisfied.

Instead of complaining about my house, I become thankful for having a place to live and I make the best use of it. So, I will take care of it, clean it, paint it, and fix it up as much as I can. I recognize that it is a gift from God and I am a good steward of what He has given me. It doesn’t mean that I don’t make plans or work towards a better house. But I am not angry or upset about where I live; I am not complaining. I am not neglectful of the house I have.

True contentment is the power of getting out of any situation all that there is in it. G.K. Chesterton

I have known people who keep thinking, "If I could just change ______________ , I would be happy." Or .... "If I could just have ____________, I would be happy."

They are continually disappointed or upset with their stage of life or relationships or financial situation. They think most people have a better situation than they do. They rarely enjoy what they do have. Some are not grateful for the good in the people that surround them. Or for some, no matter what their financial condition, it is never enough.

Life doesn't have to be that way.

Paul said it best in Philippians 4:11-12, I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.

I have to ask myself, “what or who brings real satisfaction to my life?”

If I am looking to anyone or anything else apart from God to bring satisfaction to my life, I will never be content.

When I get to the place in my relationship with Him that He satisfies my life, then the rest of life is the icing on the cake. I am one of those people who actually loves the icing on the cake, but I wouldn't want a plate of icing. That would be too much, even for me. The icing adds beauty to the cake, but it isn't the substance of the cake. It's extra, a bonus! The substance of life is our relationship to our Lord, but He has given us so much more. He has given us many extras in life for our enjoyment.

My relationships give me extra joy; they are not the basis of my happiness.

A nice home brings gratitude in my heart; it is not something I demand or think I deserve.

A good savings account offers me the opportunity to give and serve more; it is not the basis of my security.

Paul says in 1 Timothy 6:6-8, But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that.

The contented person experiences the sufficiency of God’s provision for his needs and the sufficiency of God’s grace for his circumstances. He believes God will indeed meet all his material needs and that He will work in all his circumstances for his good. That is why Paul could say, “Godliness with contentment is great gain.” The godly person has found what the greedy or envious or discontented person always searches for but never finds. He has found satisfaction and rest in his soul. Jerry Bridges

What does all of this have to do with marriage?
See our next post!