Pages

A Little Goes a Long Way

Small Changes - Big Impact ….

When I think of the saying “a little goes a long way,” I think of Super Glue. One drop will fix about anything. 

If a drop or two of Super Glue will fix something that’s broken, it makes me wonder. 
Is there a Super Glue for marriage?

We often think that marriage is too hard or that it would take too much work to make my marriage work. The truth is that my marriage can be better with one small change at a time.

We have seen dramatic changes in marriages happen when one spouse has the opportunity to hear from the other one how much they care about each other.

Even among couples that are struggling, 97% said that they cared about their spouse and want the best for them, even during painful times. But only 59% believed the other one cared. [The Good News About Marriage by Shaunti Feldhahn]

At times of hurt, misunderstanding or conflict, if I will believe that my spouse cares about me and wants the best for me, it changes how I see what is happening.
As another author said, “Assume good will.” A good maxim for life and for marriage.

Another dramatic change often happens when couples set aside time to spend with each other - even a few minutes of focused attention daily or a date night.

You don’t have to spend a lot of money or make a big production of your date. As Nike says, Just Do It! 

Probably one of the most important small things is to quit trying to change your spouse! First of all, you can’t! Secondly, it will drive your spouse farther away. The message comes through, “You don’t measure up.” 

But, with the work of the Holy Spirit in my life, I can change! 

When we are no longer able to change a situation - we are challenged to change ourselves. Viktor Frankl

In many marriages, one spouse is simply unaware that the other one is unhappy. In 82% of struggling or so-so marriages, one spouse thought the marriage was happy. These people care deeply about their spouse and need to be aware of what is happening.

When these couples make some small changes, their quality of marriage greatly increases. If they will start now, they can bring a new joy to marriage!