Pages

What happened to the fun in marriage?

We get married because we have fun together. Remember how you would talk for hours or hang out together, just the two of you?

Somewhere in marriage, through the years, we forget to preserve the fun.

Fun comes from time spent together and usually from an activity that we share. Click here to read  about how the drift occurs and ways to increase fun times together.

The fun in marriage can also come from enjoying my spouse and seeking to bring joy to my spouse’s life.

When I shift my focus to my own personal pleasure apart from the desires of my spouse, my selfishness has taken over.
I can find momentary pleasure in buying things or sex or eating or gambling, but the short term pleasure comes at the expense of happiness and joy in marriage.

God is NOT a cosmic killjoy! He created the world for our enjoyment, but He never intended for us to find that enjoyment apart from Him. When He satisfies my life, I don’t have to seek selfish pleasures, I can find joy in seeing my spouse have joy.



If you live for private pleasure at the expense of your spouse,
you are living against yourself and destroying your joy.
But if you devote yourself to the holy joy of your spouse,
you will also be living for your joy and
making a marriage after the image of Christ.
John Piper

The Joy ……

You will fill me with joy in Your presence, with eternal pleasures at Your right hand.  Psalm 16:11

Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice!  Philippians 4:4

God commands us to rejoice in Him. He promises us His joy and pleasure.

Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling around with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in the slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.  C.S. Lewis

When we find joy in the Lord, we will be filled with JOY and can pour it into the lives around us . . . without demanding anything in return.