Pages

Keys to a High Voltage Marriage - Cut up the List

Cut up the List!

To have a high voltage marriage we must cut up those lists we keep in our heads of past offenses and of future expectations.

To get rid of the list of past offenses, I must forgive.

The Gift of ForgivenessBe kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you. Ephesians 4:32.

Part of forgiveness means that I don’t keep that list of offenses anymore, just as God doesn’t keep a list of our offenses. He says to forgive in the same way that He does.

"As far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us." Psalm 103:12

"You will again have compassion on us; you will tread our sins underfoot and hurl all our iniquities into the depths of the sea." Micah 7:19

What does forgiveness of another person mean? It means that I don’t dwell on the offense and I don’t try to punish (payback) the other person for the hurt. It means that I don't keep the list of hurts in my head.

Unforgiveness is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die. You aren't hurting the other person as much as you are hurting yourself by not forgiving. Forgiveness brings life and energy to each of us individually and to our marriage.

It [love] keeps no record of wrongs. 1 Corinthians 13:5

From Anger to Intimacy: How Forgiveness Can Transform Your MarriageTo cut up the list of future expectations, I have to trust God with those expectations. I follow His will for me; I do my part. Then, I leave the results up to Him—that is real trust. We cannot control or determine the outcome or the results of our actions in another person’s life anyway. The sooner that we realize that fact, the less stressful and angry our life will be.

Unmet expectations drain a marriage. Giving up expectations bring energy to the marriage.

For a high voltage marriage, cut up those lists of past offenses and of future expectations!

Also, see:
__________________________